Welcome to the Cavalier County website. This site is a collection of various events, facts, and many other things that pertain to Cavalier County. Cavalier County is located in the upper North Eastern part of North Dakota and has terrific benefits to offer such as a great place to live – low crime and great schools, hunting and fishing, and wonderful people that are always willing to help each other out.
We hope you will find this website useful and keep coming back to it. We will always be updating the site to keep it current and we will always be expanding. The link is also located at the top of the page. We encourage you to drop us a line, we want to hear from everyone and feel free to leave suggestions.
Use the links on the right hand side of the screen to navigate. We have included other websites and they will open up in a new window if they are not on this site, so you can view the other pages without losing focus of this site.
Cavalier County – Motor Grader Operator – District 1 Sarles
Cavalier County has an opening for a full-time Motor Grader Operator in the Sarles District. Applicant must have a valid North Dakota driver’s license, and good verbal, written and public relations skills. Applicant should be able to lift objects up to 80 pounds, have the dexterity to use hand and power tools for maintenance of equipment, be able to perform in adverse and extreme weather conditions and have the ability to operate road maintenance equipment. Knowledge, skill and abilities of methods, materials, and equipment for proper road construction and maintenance is preferred but not required.
Starting salary will be $3,311/month; full retirement and family health insurance benefits offered.
Applications are available at the Cavalier County Auditor’s Office – 901 3rd Street, Suite 15, Langdon, ND 58249. The application, resume, and cover letter should be returned to the County Auditor’s Office no later than 4 p.m. on February 24, 2017.
The 2017 annual Cavalier County MathCounts competition was held on Thursday, February 9th at the County Courthouse. Langdon Public School, St. Alphonsus School and Munich Public School students all took part in the competition testing their math skills. The top placers individually were:
1st Place – Dawson Biby; 2nd Place – Simon Romfo; 3rd Place – Jagger Worley; 4th Place – Zack Rostvet
Congratulations to Dawson Biby on qualifying for State MathCounts at the Bismarck Ramkota on March 6th, 2017!
Munich took first place in the Team portion of the competition:
2017 Spelling Bee
The 2017 Cavalier County Spelling Bee was held on Thursday, February 16th at the Courthouse in Langdon. There were 19 students participating from Munich, Langdon and St. Alphonsus Schools.
Row 1: Simon Romfo, Zack Rostvet, Hailey Thorlakson, Isak Dease, Jagger Worley, Nathan Kitchin, Paul Haus, Patrick Haus, Dustin Gilseth
Row 2: Jaden Rademacher, Amelia Hall, Parker Rime, Aly Gapp, Tucker Regner, Josie Long, Kiarra Hodek, Dawson Hein, Levi Woodrow, Brady Regner
Currently no bids out.
Cavalier County was created from the western part of Pembina County in 1873 and named by the Territorial Legislature for Charles Cavileer, a well know fur trader, customs agent and postmaster. The Spelling has always been Cavalier.
After petitioning the Territorial Governor for permission to organize the county, Patrick McHugh, W. Hudson Matthews and L.C. Noracong met for the purpose on July 8, 1884. On July 26 the new county officials met for the second time and chose Noracong as Chairman of the Board with William H. Doyle and Matthews as Commissioners. The first Register of Deeds and County Clerk was McHugh. W.J. Mooney became the first Judge of Probate, Charles B. Nelson was the first Cavalier County Supt. of Schools and Clarence Hawkes the first Sheriff.
The site of the new county seat was chosen at this meeting and named Langdon for Robert Bruce Langdon of Minnesota, a federal railroad official who never visited the town.
Fifteen townships from Pembina County were added to Cavalier County by vote of their residents in May of 1885. A census taken at that time revealed 5,029 residence living in nine large townships. The nine townships names used in 1885 are still used. The current boundaries and township names were standardized in 1906.
The first court house was built in the fall of 1884 at a cost of $360.00. It was used briefly and then abandoned for warmer and more centrally located quarters in a downtown bank. A large brick court house was built in 1895 on the present site at a contract cost of $9,099.00. This building served county officials until the current court house was constructed in 1957-58.